Thursday, August 03, 2006

Reputation Strikes Again

A while back, I talked about how a reputation is the most important thing a writer can have. Today I can give you a concrete example; concrete meaning "money in the bank."

About a week ago, an editor I'd worked with in the past, posted an invitation to "pinch hit" for an anthology that had come in a little short. She needed stories, on a particular theme, and she needed them in a few days. This Tuesday, the check for my story arrived in the mail, and Steve's check arrived the next day.

What does reputation have to do with this? Well, when I wrote back saying I would like to send a story, I was welcomed. And when I produced and submitted the story in the short time limit, I reinforced her trust that I could produce acceptable work in a short time. Will we get a call next time there's an open spot? I'd say the chances are good.

2 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Great news! Congratulations!

Mike Arnzen said...

You speak the truth, Christina! I'm happy to have found your blog... you and Steve are doing wonderful things and you've definitely earned that reputation you talk about in this entry. More power to you.

Hope all's going well in Oregon! We miss you guys.

-- Mike Arnzen, http://www.gorelets.com